Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hello Stranger

Hello Strangers, welcome to my blog.

Inspired by the Julie/Julia project I am attempting a personal project of my own.

Of course, I can't cook, so I was faced with the task of finding a project all my own. Soon after I started I realized something that strikes fear into the hearts of all attempted non-conformists. My life is fairly ordinary.

So I went to my friends for advice, amid suggestions of movie, TV, book, etc related blogs one friend jokingly suggested I do something that involved talking. We all laughed, gave up, and watched Flight of the Conchords.

But then I got to thinking.

I love to talk, and I enjoy talking to strangers, I can be waiting in line at a food place, or walking to the post office, or anywhere, and I will find someone to talk to. The more I thought about it the more intriguing the idea became.

And so the No Strangers Project was born

The basic idea is:
Everyday I must strike up a dialogue with a stranger. It can be two sentences, or it can be a full blown conversation, but there must be an exchange of some kind.

The Rules
1. This person and I can not have ever spoken before.
2. Talking in the context of a group project for class does not count.
3. If someone introduces me to this person, it does not count.
4. It must be sporadic.
5. The conversation can be started with, but must consist of more than:
Excuse me
Can you pass me....
Sorry
Do you know where...
While it is an acceptable "in" to the conversation, there must be responses in more than just the answer to my statement.

I will develop more as the project grows.

For now I will just venture forth, and speak

No comments:

Post a Comment