Friday, September 11, 2009

Day Two

I awoke this morning with this project on my mind. I was worried, what if I was wrong, what if yesturday was just a fluke, what if it's too awkward and too much to try to make conversation with one stranger a day, what if I couldn't do it. What if it made me focus too much on making conversation with strangers, so much so that I missed out on life, or ruined my friendships, or got so focused on the goal that everytime I went somewhere I was thinking about talking to strangers instead of whatever I was going there to do.

Luckily I ran into a door and conked my head, thus shaking me from my escalating panic. Bruised, but with clarity, I decided that it was only 9 am. I had time.

Honestly I have no idea why I was so worried.

As I walked into the building for Shakespeare (a personal fav) I saw a girl from my class.

Now here is where I have to be a tough judge because, though I had never had a conversation with this girl, I did kinda know her, so much as I like to go see the improv group she's in perform. Also she is in my class, so already it feels kinda grey, however, I believe it falls within the bounds of the rules. We made eye contact and I smiled.
"The instructions for the paper made no sense to me," she started
"I know, I couldn't tell which things were suggestions and which were requirements, so I just did everything"
Smiles were exchanged, and had this been the end of the exchange I do not know if I would count it. Then she looked at me and said, "Want to ride the elevator with me? I don't feel guilty if there's someone else doing it too"

Now, our class is on the fourth floor, and let me tell you, when you are running late, running up those stairs with the 5lb Shakespeare book in your bag, along with everything else you need for the day, is hell. I did not know of the existance of the elevator, so this revelation was simultaneously glorious for the project (without this I may never have learned of the elevator), and for me personally, I won't be late ever again (knock on wood).

In the elevator we chatted about the topic for the paper (Bottom from Midsummer Night's Dream, idiot, ass, or secretly deep sensitive guy?) And I arrived in class, early.

Where I sat next to Kassia, now I have sat next to her most times, but we have never spoken. However, she seems interesting, she has intelligent opinions and also talks in class. So I thought what the heck, might as well keep on the roll.

I looked in my bag for my paper and at first I didn't see it, another moment of irrational panic (did I leave it on the printer, or drop it, maybe I sold it to Albanian drug lords to use as a front for a conference for a secret drug lord meeting) then I saw it in my binder, phew.

And so I turned to Kassia saying, "Don't you hate it when you think you've lost something, especially if you have to turn it in"
"Yeah," she replied, "whenever I have something due I always check five or six times"
"I know, because you check and you're like 'oh good its here' and you zip up your bag, take five steps and suddenly you're all, 'oh god, did I take it out of my bag when I checked it, did I forget to put if back'"
"Exactly, and then the one time you tell yourself you're being silly is the time you leave it"

So not only did I meet someone who likes to talk in class, I have now met someone nearly neurotic as me. Huzzah

I've decided that talking to 2 people from my classes is the same as talking to one completely contextless person (we have no real reason to talk, no classes or work, etc) and therefore, I had finished my duty for the day, and it wasn't even 10 am yet.

This is going to be a snap

Hopefully

No comments:

Post a Comment